Vegetable Pulao (Veg Pulao) is a spicy rice dish prepared by cooking rice with various vegetables and spices. In this recipe, assortment of spices, veggies and rice are first sautéed in oil and ghee and then cooked in pressure cooker as you would cook plain rice. However, the uniqueness of this easy mixed vegetable pulao recipe lies in use of bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves which provides nice and complex aromatic feel that simply makes juices flowing in mouth.
1/2 cup Basmati Rice (long grained rice)
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
1 small Tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup Green Peas (mutter), fresh or frozen
3 tablespoons finely chopped French Beans
1/4 cup finely chopped Carrot
1 small piece of Bay Leaf
1 inch piece of Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
2 tablespoons Oil
1 teaspoon Ghee
1 cup Water
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside until needed.
2. Heat ghee and oil together in a pressure cooker (2-liter capacity, stainless steel cooker)on low flame. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté until it turns light brown or for approx. 2 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomato, green peas, french beans and carrot.
4. Stir-fry them for approx. 2 minutes.
5. Add soaked (drained) rice, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
6. Stir-fry them for approx. 2 minutes.
7. Add 1 cup water and mix well.
8. Close the lid and cook over medium flame for 2 whistles. When 1st whistle is completed, reduce the flame to low and cook until another whistle. Turn off flame.
9. Let it cool at room temperature until pressure inside cooker comes down naturally. Open the lid carefully and fluff the rice wit a fork. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.