Cooked Rice with Vegetables
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Onion - 2 medium size (cut lengthwise)
Ginger finely chopped - 1 tsp
Green chilli - 2 slit or chilli powder -1 tsp flat
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup ( you can use a mix of beans, carrot, peas and potato)
Mint leaves - fistful
Coriander leaves - few
Fresh lemon juice -1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon -1 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Cardamom -1 (optional)
1. Soak basmati rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
2. Chop all the vegetables lengthwise. I used 4-5 beans, 1 small potato, 1 medium sized carrot, 1/4 cup peas and 3. 3-4 cauliflower florets- together it was a little more than 1 cup.
4. Wash and chop mint and coriander leaves.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add the ingredients mentioned under seasoning. Saute for a few seconds and then add onion, 6. green chilli and ginger.
7. Saute until onions turn pink, then add all the vegetables. Saute the vegetables for 2-3 seconds. Then add chopped mint and coriander leaves. Mix well.
8. Add drained rice, 2 cups of hot water, lemon juice, salt needed (approximately 2 tsp flat) and bring it to boil.
9. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame, cover it with a lid and cook until the rice is done. Fluff it with a fork and serve hot.