Rice - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Date palm jiggery - 300 g
Green cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Bay leaves - 4
Milk - 1 lt
Cashewnuts, broken - ½ cup
Raisins - 10
Coconut, grated - ½ cup
1. Grind the rice to a powder in a blender.
2. Mix the rice powder with 2 litres of water and put on heat. Let it boil. Cook, stirring constantly.
3. About 20 minutes later, when the mixture thickens somewhat, add the rest of the ingredients.
4. Stir carefully. This mixture has a tendency to splutter. Use a long-handled spoon.
5. Remove when the mixture becomes quite thick, like porridge. Remove the bay leaves.
6. Grease a tray and evenly spread the mixture on it.
7. Refrigerate when cool.
8. Cut and serve.
Bangla Ranna: An Introduction to Bengali Cuisine: Satarupa Banerjee
Publisher: Orient Longman